Insufficient oxygen to an infant's brain during labor and delivery can result in a lifetime of disability. It can be discouraging for new parents to learn that their child will endure such difficulties. However it is even more upsetting to learn that the birth injury may have been avoidable. At the law office of Jeffries, Kube, Forrest & Monteleone Co. L.P.A., we help parents obtain answers, compensation, and justice for medical malpractice that caused their child's injury.
Contact our Ohio personal injury law firm for a free case evaluation.
Our birth injury lawyers have comprehensive knowledge of the medical and legal issues involved in obstetrics and birth injuries. Failure to recognize respiratory distress, breached delivery, negligent instrumental delivery, and other obstetric malpractice can cause injury or death to the mother or infant. Some common complications of birth include:
- Brain Damage
- Cerebral palsy
- Blindness or deafness
- Permanent paralysis
- Erb's palsy/shoulder dystocia (also known as chicken wing deformity)
- Obstetrics injury
- Other serious birth trauma
Pregnancy and Delivery Negligence
While many children suffer birth injuries that were outside the control of the attending physicians, medical malpractice occurs when the doctor's failure to provide standard care causes the birth injury. Our medical malpractice lawyers hold doctors, nurses, OB GYNs, other medical professionals, and hospitals accountable for negligence that causes a birth injury. Negligence may include:
- Failure to carefully oversee the pregnancy, labor, or delivery
- Failure to recognize fetal distress as signs of hypoxia (lack of oxygen)
- Failure to adequately assess the mother for labor and perform a c-section
- Negligent usage of vacuum extractors or forceps
- Failure to diagnose HELLP syndrome/Toxemia/Preeclampsia
- Failure to perform a Cesarean section delivery
- Failure to recognize placental abruption, uterine rupture, or prolapsed cord
- Failure to consider risks of VBAC (Vaginal Birth After C-Section)
Our medical malpractice attorneys offer compassion and guidance to families coping with the challenges of a birth injury. We recognize that doctors and hospitals will forcefully defend malpractice cases in order to protect their reputation. We have the collective experience, resources, and medical knowledge necessary to prepare an effective claim.
Further medical malpractice information