If your family enjoys boating in the spring and summer months, you probably value the weekend days you spend on the water creating special memories. However, boating and the watersports activities that go along with it also have the potential to be dangerous. Ohio boaters need to make sure they’re doing everything possible to stay safe.
Fortunately, by following your common sense safety knowledge and the tips described below, you should be able to enjoy your favorite water activities without fear of injury or death befalling your loved ones.
A few boating safety tips you should always follow
There’s no way to completely safeguard your family from the risk of accidents but you can avoid the majority of boating injuries by adhering to this advice:
- Follow all Ohio state laws that pertain to your boats, and the boating activities and watersports you engage in.
- Always have a “spotter” when you’re towing people on tubes, wakeboards and skis. The spotter will watch how they’re doing, help them out of the water if they’re in trouble and advise you to slow down or stop if there’s a problem.
- Don’t follow or ride parallel to a boat that’s towing people.
- Equip everyone on the boat with a personal floatation device, including people being towed.
- Be on the lookout at all times for submerged rocks, floating debris and hazards that could cause problems for your boat and the people you’re towing. Be especially careful after storms.
- If you have more than one boat, equip both captains with walkie-talkies or some other kind of communications equipment to notify each other of potential dangers or emergency situations.
- Make sure you have a way of contacting someone on shore by cellphone.
Were you hurt in a boating accident?
Even if you’re as safe as possible while boating, accident and injuries can still occur. When these accidents and injuries happen as a result of someone else’s negligence, perhaps because of the captain of your boat or the captain of another boat, you may want to investigate the legal options available to seek justice and financial restitution for your boating accident damages.